Friday, December 9, 2016

Mark Bostick Golf Course Summer Maintenance

        Working at the Mark Bostick Golf Course, I am able to be with and work along side some of the best managers in the world of college sport athletics. In the golf industry, I get to learn about financial aspects on what makes a golf course successful, as well as how management can affect the day to day well being of our members and the course itself. However, for this class I was able to dive a little deeper.  Working with the Golf Course Superintendent, I was able to see what the monthly maintenance looks like over the summer at the UF Course. Over the summer, there are plenty of issues that arise when dealing with this warmer weather, and throughout this blog, I will show how the superintendent prevents these possible issues.

General Information Post:

The Mark Bostick Golf Course is a thriving facility and has some of the best well kept surfaces in the area. Summer maintenance is key in making sure that the course is good shape throughout the year. As covered in this blog, we will be going into top dressing, fertilization, fungicide, sod prep, verticutting and finally aerification. Some of these items are put in place throughout the year, and others are used only in the summer months. Aerification for example can only be done in the summer months due to the high amount of rain and sunlight. Each of these items will be looked into greater detail throughout this blog. To finish off the post, here are the types of grass the Mark Bostick Golf Course uses. We will dive deeper into each in the next post.

Grass Types: 

Bermudagrass Cultivars
  • Celebration: Fringe and Tee Boxes
  • Tif Sport: Rough and Fairways
  • Champion UltraDwarf: Greens
Bahia Grass
  • Few but some rough areas (left side #10 and #12)


No comments:

Post a Comment